The City of Gainesville serves as the cultural, educational, and commercial center of the north central Florida region. The City of Gainesville has a Commission-Manager form of government and employs roughly 2,200 employees, making it one of the largest employers in the region. The City Manager, appointed by the City Commission, is responsible for the day-to-day management of City employees and general government with an operating budget of $354M.
This is advanced, diversified, often confidential and moderately complex administrative and staff work supporting a senior level manager who oversees diverse activities within their department. Duties require some independent judgment through the application of problem solving, decision making, dependability and initiative and the ability to process and resolve various departmental issues. Positions allocated to this Classification may assign and review the work of Staff Assistants and Staff Specialists. Duties must be performed at a high level of competence and require discretion and judgment with respect to matters of significance.
Positions allocated to this classification report to a senior level manager of a department with multiple divisions (who is a member of the Executive Team).. Work is performed under general supervision and is normally reviewed upon completion. Work in this class is distinguished from higher classes by its lack of managerial responsibility and from lower classes by its coordination of administrative activities, latitude for discretion and decision making, supervisory responsibility and work of a confidential and sensitive nature.
EXAMPLES OF WORK**
- This section of the job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of duties and responsibilities of the position. The omission of a specific job function does not absolve an employee from being required to perform additional tasks incidental to or inherent in the job. Performance of lower level duties may be required.
Essential Job Functions
Depending on area of assignment:
- Develops, plans, and oversees administrative details and coordinated workflow of assigned area.
- Serves as staff liaison to special committees and boards and represents the department by attending meetings or serving on assigned committees. Prepares meeting agendas, photocopys and/or assembles back-up documentation, mails packets to board and staff members. May take and transcribe minutes.
- Assists with the administration of department Progression-through-Training (PTTP) programs; prepares a manual of checklists, procedures and materials and reviews proposed actions to evaluate appropriateness and timeliness before forwarding to the department head for review.
- Assists with drafting, modifying, and interpreting operational and personnel policies, guidelines and administrative procedures applicable to department staff.Drafts and prepares agenda items for City Commission meetings.
- Handles inquiries, complaints, and requests; tracks issues and resolutions and provides assistance regarding specific matters within area of expertise in resolving complex inquiries and complaints.
- Assists in the proofing, drafting, and distribution of moderately complex documents. Prepares and makes presentations.
- Researches, reviews, gathers, compiles and maintains detailed and specialized information for reports and department work processes.
- Prepares reports for grant funded projects and monitors grant compliance.
- Maintains records, libraries, databases, tracking systems and files required in connection with department work processes.
- Assigns and reviews the work of Staff Assistants and Staff Specialists.
- Schedules, coordinates and maintains assigned calendars. Makes travel arrangements and prepares itineraries.
- Assists with planning and execution of meetings and department sponsored events.
- Provides oversight, maintenance and updating of the department’s intranet and/or internet sites.
- Sets work goals, objectives, and priorities.
- Works directly with department and division managers to facilitate completion of respective assignments and objectives.
- Monitors operation of and recommends repairs or upgrades to office equipment, coordinates repair or upgrade of new equipment.
- Acts as department Timekeeper; inputs department payroll into Remote Time Entry (RTE).Assists with the preparation, coordination and administration of department budget.
- Administers department purchase orders and VISA purchases, and prepares department bills for processing; requests information or supporting documentation from appropriate staff.
- Receives and screens visitors and/or telephone calls that require the use of judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
- Assists managers with confidential/sensitive materials related to labor agreements, political issues, personnel matters, and/or criminal records.
- Attends work on a continuous and regular basis.
Non-essential Job Functions
Depending on area of assignment:
- May perform tasks normally assigned to Staff Assistants and Staff Specialists as workflow and demands require.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. Below are the required education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions.
Education And Experience
- An Associate degree from an accredited college or equivalent vocational/technical training, and three (3) years responsible administrative and staff support experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- A Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) certificate or Certified Professional Secretary (CPS) certificate may substitute for an Associate degree.
- An additional two (2) years of responsible administrative and staff support experience may substitute for an Associate degree.
- Must type at a minimum speed of 35 correct words per minute or at a higher speed, as set by the department.
CERTIFICATIONS OR LICENSES
Licenses : If courier duties are required, a valid Florida Driver license with a safe driving record is required.
Certifications : A Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) certificate or Certified Professional Secretary (CPS) certificate is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
Depending on area of assignment:
- Ability and willingness to use sound judgment, exercise discretion, and after evaluating alternatives, make decisions on matters of significance.
- Ability and willingness to carry out major assignments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of administration, organization, policies, practices, and programs.
- Demonstrated proficiency in relevant software and advanced computer skills.
- Thorough knowledge of liaison duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to function in a politically sensitive and volatile environment.
- Ability to organize and coordinate multiple assignments.
- Ability to work with general supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and respond appropriately to sensitive/confidential issues.
- Ability to resolve conflicts.
- Ability to understand and follow moderately complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to resolve customer complaints and answer inquiries tactfully, courteously, and effectively.
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers and internal and external customers.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment.
- Ability to perform administrative functions, including the ability to assign and review the work of other staff members.
Physical And Environmental Requirements : To perform this job successfully, an individual must possess certain physical abilities and be able to withstand work related environmental conditions.
Physical Requirements : While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is often required to sit for prolonged periods of time.
WORK ENVIRONMENT : May be required to work and attend meetings outside regular business hours.
- May Require Assessment(s).
- May fill multiple positions.
- May establish an eligibility list.