Roles and Responsibilities:
The Teaching assistant will be responsible for:
- Contributing to the designing of the course curriculum and negotiating appropriate learning targets to achieve the educational goals.
- Support the planning and implementation of learning activities based on the needs of the group and specific individual needs within the statutory institution.
- Support the main teacher of reference in promoting a safe and supportive learning environment in the statutory institution.
- Facilitating holistic education to promote equality and diversity.
- Modeling professional behavior according to the professional code at all times and ensuring their own professional development.
- Support in motivating learners to develop their abilities and aspirations and assuming collective responsibility for the learner’s success.
- Contributing to teamwork to improve the experience and achievement of learners.
- Guiding learners towards acceptable behavior and encouraging active participation.
- Facilitate training initiatives within the project and ensuring alignment with the education priorities of the organization.
- Support the development and the implementation of education initiatives within local communities, in line with the organization’s priorities and objectives of the government.
- Create and facilitate provision of content for education support online and offline.
- Support in the development of narrative reports, ensuring that all reports are submitted on time and maintain a high degree of consistency, accuracy, and relevance.
- Contribute to the development of education-related documents, such as Fact sheets, Presentations-Ppt etc.
- Any other duty as required by the supervisor in line with the post and relevant to the achievement of the Tree of Life objectives.
- A diploma in Education or Early Childhood Development
- C+ (plus) and above in two subjects of specialization
- Be registered with a professional body where applicable
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Classroom management skills: the ability to ensure that learning takes place effectively in a healthy and comfortable learning environment.
- Effective communication skills: ability to give fast, clear, and immediate feedback to learners.
- Effective teaching style incorporating a learner-centered approach.
- Knowledge of competency-based curriculum and emerging trends in education and reforms.
- Availability: Fully accessible in class and outside the classroom.
- Strong rapport with learners and other care givers.
- Ability to show courtesy and appreciation to the learner.
- Ability to accept the different abilities of the learners and be ready to change as the context demands.
- Alternative discipline skills: appropriate modes of correcting learners;
- Time management skills: ensuring various activities are factored into the timetable for a holistic learning process;
- Role model: recognizes their role as a role model for kind human behavior.
- Background knowledge on development issues and/or areas related to child protection, juvenile justice, and education will be a strong asset.
- Ability to work independently, suggest practical solutions, and follow up effectively on management decisions.
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian and development context in Kenya and East Africa
- Excellent spoken and written English and Swahili.
Other Skills Required
- Honesty and strong ethics are required in order to be successful in this position.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated capacity and willingness to learn new ways of doing things.
- Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, a participatory approach, and sustainable development.
- Planning and management skills.
- Minimum 1 year experience in teaching primary education.
- Experience in implementing different learning methodologies and development of educational tools and training Curriculums
- Experience in working with children with special needs, vulnerable children, or children in conflict with the law will be an added advantage.